Chakras (Sanskrit for wheels of light) are circular spirals of energy that exist in our subtle etheric body. They are power centres that process the universal energies that are around and within us and circulate it. There are 7 major ones and they are vertically aligned in the centre of the body close to the spine.
Each chakra is associated with a certain part of the body and a certain organ which it provides with the energy it needs to function. Additionally, every chakra corresponds to a specific aspect of human behaviour and development. These seven chakras are divided into two groups. While the lower chakras are associated with fundamental emotions and needs, the higher ones denote our higher mental and spiritual aspirations and faculties.
Chakras contribute to our being and when the chakras are balanced our instincts are sharp and in co-ordination with our feelings and stream of thoughts. When we are stressed or unwell, it could be because of the chakras being over-active or in some cases being under-active.
Since chakras serve as gateways for the flow of energy (prana) and life into our physical bodies, knowledge of our more subtle energy system will empower us to maintain balance and harmony on the physical, mental and spiritual level.
The following chart maps out the primary qualities of each chakra, its corresponding location in the body, color, physical and emotional realms of influence, and its greater significance.
1. Root Chakra – This chakra represents our very foundation.
Where is it located? This chakra is located in the spinal base in tailbone area.
Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Sacral Chakra –This chakra represents our ability to connect and/or accept others and new experiences.
Where is it Located? This chakra is located in the lower abdomen about 2 inches below the navel.
Emotional issues: Sexuality, Well-being and Sense of abundance
3. Solar Plexus Chakra –This chakra represents our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
Where is it Located? This chakra is located in the upper abdomen/stomach area.
Emotional issues: Confidence and self-esteem
4. Heart Chakra - This chakra represents our ability to love and be at peace.
Where is it Located? This chakra is located in the base of your chest just above heart.
Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Throat Chakra - This chakra represents our ability to communicate well.
Where is it Located? This chakra is located in the throat.
Emotional issues: Ability to communicate well, express thoughts and feelings
6. Third Eye Chakra - This chakra represents our ability to focus on things and see things with clarity.
Where is it Located? This chakra is located in the forehead between the eyes.
Emotional issues: Wisdom, ability to make decisions, think well, and intuition
7. Crown Chakra - This chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. This is also the highest level of chakra in the human body.
Where is it located? This chakra is located on the top of the head.
Emotional issues: Our connection to spirituality and being in a state of bliss.