Top 10 Health Benefits of Pine Nuts
Pine Nuts (also known as chilgoza in India) are the fanciest of all nuts. They are essentially edible seeds of various pine trees. Also known as pignolias, pine nuts have made their way into the flavor hall of fame! Delicately sweet and nutty, these small nuts shine when roasted, which brings out their full flavor profile.
Other than their wonderful taste, here are some other lesser known benefits of these tasty and rich nuts:
- Consuming pine nuts plays a role in maintaining a healthy heart.
- Pine nuts are an excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids.
- They contain healthy amounts of essential minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium.
- Pine nuts contain pinoleic acid, which makes you feel fuller faster, and thus aids in weight loss.
- Pine nuts are rich in Vitamins A and lutein, both of which are known to support sharper vision.
- The pinolenic acid in pine nuts supports healthy cholesterol and even helps lower the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). A healthy intake of monounsaturated fats has been linked to lower cholesterol levels and a lower risk of having a heart attack.
- Pine nuts contain beta-carotene, antioxidants and protein that provides an instant source of energy.
- Pine nuts are a great snack to nibble on in between meals. Pine nuts can be used in salads, for baking and cooking.
- These wonder seeds also contain anti-ageing antioxidants and are a good source of magnesium.
- Pine nuts add a buttery texture to your recipes. So they are generally used in preparing pesto sauce.